Sunday, December 18, 2011

Risk

     Knowing when to take risks is important.  Take too many and you'll ruin your life.  Take none and your life might as well be ruined because you'll be bored crazy.  All of my best memories are results of me taking responsible risks.  If I hadn't taken them I'd have a less satisfying life.
     People need to take risks to have fun.  Even having a conversation with someone you don't know is risking judgment.  Don't expect me to take a vow of silence to feel better about myself.  Still, there is still plenty that isn't worth risking.  I don't do anything that will get me in a bad place with my family.  I won't do anything where I know I could easily get injured.  I won't get in trouble with the law.  I won't do anything that will hurt another person.  I won't risk anything that is really valuable.
     I know what I care about and I will never risk any part of it.  But I won't sit back and have life fly away.  I used to be terrified of rollercoasters.  I didn't realize how miniscule the risk was compared to the payout.  I'm not talking about adrenaline, I'm talking about the sense of camaraderie I feel with my friends or family when we finish an especially scary ride.  I used to sit on a bench alone for half an hour while my family waited in line together.  Amusement parks are really some of the safest places in the country.  I just let fear cloud my judgment of them and prevent me from taking fulfilling risks.  Experiences like that are what have developed my beliefs about risk taking.

No comments:

Post a Comment