Sunday, October 9, 2011

The Internet is a Strange Place

     I was busy trying to find out what to write about for this annoying open topic blog post when I got bored.  I clicked up on the little plus sign above the address bar and went of to find something to look at while procrastinating.  Now, I'm pretty familiar with the Internet.  I probably spend way too much time on it.  Still, I pride myself on knowing a bit more about the Internet then the Average Joe.  So, while I was surfing today, I discovered what I wanted to write about.  The Internet is probably the strangest place on Earth.  An example: when I googled "cool pictures," this is one of the pictures that came up.
When I first saw this, I was actually really creeped out. It just looked too much like severed feet.

     There was also a picture of a penguin drinking Coke on a beach, an ad for some random Playstation game from 2000, the cover of a sixties comic book that's being rebooted, and a cartoon that explained exactly how much of your boxers to show if you wanted to be cool.  Oh, and two pictures of the rapper LL Cool J, who apparently only shows enough of his boxers to be considered "kinda cool."
Funnily enough, the person who posted this got their account suspended.
And what is the point of that obnoxious belt buckle?
 
    All of those pictures were on the first page of results.  I think that page is decently close to representing a microcosm of Internet culture.  That's because the Internet has evolved from being a simple research tool.  It's become the home of some sort of complex secret society that formed when someone took all the cultures of the world and threw them in a giant blender.  It's become the most bizarre place that has ever existed.

2 comments:

  1. "...this annoying open topic blog post"? Careful. Also, the feet/shoes things are seriously creepy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wasn't looking forward to open topic posts, but this turned out to be a lot of fun. I seriously meant to edit that out but I forgot.

    ReplyDelete